The church of St. John the Baptist is one of the earliest churches built in the ‘First Fruits’ style of Protestant churches. Sir Oliver St. George funded the build, on the site of an earlier church and the church opened in 1674. It was known locally as the ‘white church’ and remained a place of worship for nearly 300 years before closing in 1966. Oscar Wilde’s maternal ancestors, the Flynns of Shrule, are buried in the cemetery beside the church.
GPS: 53.47384, -9.09294