St. Patrick’s Chapel, Dublin, Ireland

St Patrick’s Chapel, also known as the ‘Old Glencullen Church’ was built in the early part of the 19th century, construction finishing in 1824. The chapel was only in use for a relatively short length of time, and as the population of the area grew a new granite church was erected fifty metres from the chapel. This new church was unveiled in 1909 and it appears that the original church then fell into ruin quite rapidly, no doubt exacerbated by a fire. The ground of the graveyard is uneven and years of overgrowth has led to many of the tombstones becoming semi submerged, the graves date from the 1750s to the 1920s.

Due to structural issues the church is now completely inaccessible, however it is well worth making your way to the rear of the building to get a glimpse of how quickly nature has staked its claim!

GPS: 53.22339, -6.21451

One thought on “St. Patrick’s Chapel, Dublin, Ireland

Leave a Reply