The Town Hall Tower in Krakow is the earliest and only remaining part of the 14th century Town Hall demolished in 1820 in an attempt to open up the main square. The tower is 70 metres tall and actually leans 55cm, this is attributed to a strong wind in 1703! The tower was built at the end of the 13th century and was first equipped with a Nuremberg Clock in 1524. It was struck by lightning in 1680 destroying the original Gothic helmet, the bell and half of the tower. It was rebuilt between 1683 and 1686, the new Baroque Helmet that was erected only survived until 1783, when it began to crumble and was replaced by a smaller structure. The tower served as a city prison and a medieval torture chamber but was completely abandoned by 1820 when the adjoining town hall was demolished, it remained abandoned until the early 20th century when it was renovated.
GPS: 50.06162, 19.93647
<iframe src=”https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1GxILuJvW-DqR74aXRCn2dNmtLcs” width=”640″ height=”480″></iframe>