The impressive ruins of Oughaval Church stand on a hill overlooking the flat surrounding lands of Laois. A monastery was first founded at this site in the 6th century by St Colman, no remains of this original monastery exist and the oldest part of the structure we can see today is the ruined 12th century nave. In the 18th century the Cosby family added a chancel with a raised floor under which a vaulted mortuary chapel exists. In the 19th century the triple window in the east gable of the chancel was erected. The design of the church gives the impression of a castellated castle and is a truly monolithic structure. One of the most important sources of Irish history was kept at Oughaval for centuries, the Book of Oughaval later known as the Book of Leinster, this now resides in Trinity College Dublin.
GPS: 53.00895, -7.1334