To the northeast of the town of Glanmire lies the overgrown and ramshackle cemetery at Ballylucra. It was the site of an early medieval church but this was in ruins by 1615. A protestant church was erected in 1829, and was still was in operation in 1907, “a small, modern building, near which are several large grave-plots, enclosed by tall iron railings. The number of evergreen shrubs planted in this churchyard gives it a pleasanter aspect than is usually the case with the graveyards about here.“ (Journal of the Irish Memorials Association). At that time the church was known as Riverstown. The church fell into disrepair soon after this and was demolished by 1923, but the hexagonal tower and steeple remain. The graveyard is quite dilapidated and care would be advised when walking around it as the earth seems quite unsteady under the weight of stone and nature!
GPS: 51.93851, -8.37732