The old ruined church at Ardcath dates from the early 14th century, and is first recorded in 1378 in Irish Chancery Letters. This small village is steeped in history, its name meaning ‘height of the battle’, a reference to a confrontation between the kings of Ireland and Fionn mac Cumhaill, as recorded in the Book of Howth. The Kings had gathered on the nearby hill of Garristown and the Fianna on the hill at Ardcath. The church was originally dedicated to St Mary the Blessed Virgin, and as was tradition at the time the tithe of the Church and Parish was directed to the Canons of Llananthony in Wales from 1172 to 1541. After the reformation the church was used as a Protestant place of worship until the early 1600s, after which it fell into disrepair. The church consists of a long nave and chancel divided by a choir arch, with two open doorwarys, one on the north wall and one on the south wall, directly opposite each other. The western gable wall has a arched aperture which serves as a belfry. The bell that is still in situe dates from the early 16th century, and is rung when someone from the local community dies.
GPS: 53.60735, -6.39374