In the townland of Stonecarthy stands this small catholic church dating from approximately the 1750s. The church was dedicated to St Kieran, to whom a well nearby is also dedicated. The name Stonecarty is believed to have derived from Stún Carthach, Carthage’s domain or place, this may be a reference to the 6th century Saint Carthage. Quite close to the church there are earthworks which are the remains of a deserted medieval settlement. This attractive ruin is surrounded by a graveyard and a circular wall, visible burials date from 1775 to the early 1960s.
GPS: 52.52559, -7.23515