The four-story towerhouse at Ferrycarrig was built by the Roche family in the 15th century. It was constructed with the specific function of guarding a ferry that crossed the River Slaney at that point. The crossing was important for trade flowing from Enniscorthy to Wexford town and indeed was the only transport means across the river until a wooden bridge was constructed in 1794. As the towerhouse was built for a military purpose, the towerhouse is equipped with gun loops, arrow slits, and a murder hole above its doorway. It is ideally situated on a enormous rock outcrop overlooking the Slaney from its northern bank. The first recorded owner of the towerhouse is Alexander Roche of Ardtramon in 1555, who passed on the ‘ferry of Carge’ to his son. It stayed in the possession of the Roche family, the last recorded owner being a Walter Roche of Newcastle. It appears that the family lost control of it during the Irish Confederate Wars of the 1640/50s.
GPS: 52.35146, -6.50955