Artramon Castle is a 4 story 13th century towerhouse overlooking the River Slaney in County Wexford. The area was known as Fernegenel during the 13th century and initially was held by Maurice de Prendergast, from Strongbow for the service of five ‘knights fees’. De Prendergast was from Wales and was hired in 1169 by the ruler of the Irish Kingdom of Osraige, Domnall Mac Gilla Pátrick, to resist the Leinster king Diarmait Mac Murchada. Afterwards De Prendergast participated in the Norman invasion of Ireland and was one of the first members of the expedition to land at Bannow Bay in May 1169. By 1247 the castle had come into the ownership of Gerard de Rupe (Roche) from De Valency. The Roches held onto Artramon until the early 16th century before it passed by marriage to the Mastersons in the early 17th century. The castle was captured by Walter Roche of Newcastle in 1641. It is likely the castle was damaged at this time as the Down Survey of 1654-6 stated that the castle then owned by Edward Masterson was in ‘indifferent repair’.
The castle is situated at the end of a beautiful walkway, which brings the visitor past the incredibly peaceful setting of St Brigid’s Well before reaching the base of the small hill on which the castle stands. The tower-house is mainly constructed with red sandstone, with the curved windows and doorway framed with granite. The entrance is well protected by a yett (an iron gate or lattice), a machicolation on the parapet and a murder hole inside the doorway. A mural stairs in the south wall leads to the upper floors. On the third floor there are attractive arched windows with seats offering beautiful views over the Wexford harbour and the River Slaney.
GPS: 52.37749, -6.47936