Situated close to Clontarf Castle stands the ruinous remains of a Church of Ireland church built in 1610 and dedicated to St John the Baptist. It was constructed on the site of an earlier catholic church part of which was incorporated into its structure. The church was in use for over 250 years but became too small for the growing congregation and a larger church was built on Seafield Road West in 1866. Soon after this the church fell into disrepair and is indicated as ‘in ruins’ in ordnance survey maps from 1907. The graveyard is walled with a beautiful entrance gate and many fine headstones and tombs dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. The church is renowned as the parish church of Abraham and Charlotte Stoker, whose infamous son Bram was baptised here on the 30th December 1847.
GPS: 53.36525, -6.20577