These two beautiful gatehouses line the western entrance-way into the former Rockingham House Estate (now part of Lough Key Forest Park) and were built in the early 19th century. Rockingham House, designed by renowned architect John Nash was built in 1803 but was destroyed by fire in 1957. It is believed that the more ornate Gothic gatehouse was designed by John Nash and built in 1810. Although some records do state that the gatehouses and other lodges in the former Rockingham estate were designed by Nash’s draftsman Humphrey Repton. The Gothic gatehouse has a beautify crenellated parapet and the fine stonework has extensive use of sandstone and punched limestone dressing. The other gatehouse known as Drum Lodge sits a kilometre east of the Gothic gatehouse and appears to have been built slightly later in 1820. This four bay single-story gate lodge has a beautiful arched opening, that once would have allowed traffic to pass under it from Boyle into the estate, vehicular access no longer passes through this entrance.
GPS: 53.97714, -8.26924