Tellarought Castle, Wexford, Ireland

Tellarought Castle, also known as Terrerath, is an early Anglo-Norman tower house situated ten kilometres south east of New Ross. Its actual date of construction is unknown and its history is meagre at best, but what is known is that the Sutton family held a significant amount of land in the area by 1307. It is also known that the property had passed to a Matthew Forde by 1641 but perhaps the tower house was already ruinous as its listed in the 1654-56 Civil Survey, just 13 years later, as ‘a castle in disrepair’. Other sources have linked a William Devoreux as possible owner around 1587, as a William Devoreux of Tellarought is mentioned as being a recipient of a pardon in 1597 in the Elizabethan Fiants. By the time of Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) the ruin was described as being the property of H. Lambert, Esq, ‘to whom this and the adjoining parish of Carnagh entirely belong‘. With a history so sparse it is hard to know which of these sources are correct and what remains of the actual tower house is precarious. What we do know through the wealth of archaeological monuments in its vicinity is that the area would have been populated from antiquity, its positioning close to the River Barrow bringing obvious advantage. The name Tellarought is an anglicised version of the Irish ‘Tulaigh Reacht’ which means Statute Mound/Hill. A stream runs under the road beside the tower and would have provided a plentiful supply of drinking water, the castle is also located adjacent to St Brigid’s Well which according to local folklore was believed to have healing properties. Considering this four story tower house has been in ruins for at least 350 years it is amazing much of it still stands, including a staircase I failed to spot during a quick stop at Tellarought!

GPS: 52.34032, -6.89133

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.