St Mary’s Church is a ruin in the parish of Clonmethan, near Oldtown in North County Dublin. The current structure stands on the grounds of an earlier medieval church and was erected in 1818. Like many Church of Ireland buildings of this time it was erected with a grant from the Board of First Fruits of £750, Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary of Ireland written in 1837 mentions a further £175 being ‘given recently towards its repair‘. The church was closed in 1960 due to lack of patronage and is already quite ruinous. It stands very picturesquely on a mound overlooking the local area, the tower is its most striking feature topped with four tall pyramid shaped spikes on each corner of castellated effect walls . The church is completely bricked up and access is not possible, the earliest grave dates from 1754 and burials continued until recently.
GPS: 53.5295, -6.32397