Rossminoge Church is in a very ruinous state and appears to have been so for over two centuries, at present all that remains is a very precarious looking west gable wall. Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) describes the church as, ‘in ruins’, with John O’Donovan giving us a bit more detail, writing in 1840 that all that survived was part of the south wall and a ‘brick belfry’ on the west gable. It is believed there are only approximately forty burials in the graveyard dating from the 1700s up to the 1920s. A large stone at the entrance to the graveyard mentions the burials of several United Irishmen who died in the 1798 rebellion against crown forces and are buried at Rossminoge. Wexford saw some of the most intense fighting of that failed rebellion and many graveyards in the county pay their respects to those who died in the fight for Irish freedom. Its nice to see that this graveyard is well maintained and signposted.
GPS: 52.6631, -6.40414