Cappagh Church and Graveyard, also know as Dunmullan, is situated ten kilometres north of Omagh in County Tyrone. Its believed that the ecclesiastical history of Cappagh dates back as far as the sixth century. The name Cappagh derives from the Irish ‘An Ceapach’ meaning ‘The Tillage Plot’, which is probably a quite apt name seeing that much of the land in this area reclaimed bog according to Samuel Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary if Ireland 1837. An abbey was founded at Cappagh in 792AD and one of the old bells from that abbey is now housed in the National Museum in Dublin. The main body of the precarious church ruin that stands today dates from the 16th century and would have been pre-reformation catholic church, there are further references to a church being situated there in the 1400s. Post Reformation Cappagh became a Protestant church and the Catholics were resigned celebrating at mass rocks such as the Cullion Mass Rocks. It is thought that the church was expanded during its time as a Protestant place of worship but must have fallen into ruin quite quickly as Samuel Lewis stated in 1837, “The ruins of the old church are scarcely discernable, but the cemetery is much used”
The ruins that remain at Cappagh are very precarious and caution is advised whilst moving in or around the structure.
GPS: 54.66801, -7.30436